Wednesday, January 25, 2012

RE- Potty Training?

Is there such a thing as "re-potty training"?  Well my little Mycah will be turning 5 in one month. I kept thinking that her "bladder control problem" will just fix itself with age.  I kept telling myself that she will get it.  She will grow out of it.  Just give it some time.  Well, here we are, and she just isn't "getting it".  She was potty trained at 2 1/2 years old.  She knows how to go to the bathroom.  However, I have not been successful in training her at night.  She is still sleeping in a diaper.  She still wets in it.  I tried for a couple weeks to break this habit.  I stopped her from drinking anything past dinner.  I put her to bed in underwear.  I woke her up at 10pm (before I go to bed) and also at 2 or 3 am to take her to the bathroom.  Sometimes she would be wet already.  Other times she would wet sometime between 3 and 7 in the morning.  I would wash her bedding EVERY SINGLE DAY.  It just got so old, I gave up and went back to the diaper.  I even tried using cloth diapers to see if she would dislike the feeling of being wet.  Nothing worked.  During the day time, she has two to three "accidents" a day.  The thing is, she knows when she has to go.  But she doesn't realize it until she's already slightly peed in her underwear.  She rarely lets it all go.  I just keep thinking she'll figure it out.  The problem is that Kindergarten is coming up at the end of the summer.  I don't want to have the little kid that smells like pee.  So, what do I do?  Do I take her to the Dr.?  I talked to my Sister-in-Law Mitzi.  She uses a particular potty training method on her kids.  So I think I'm going to pick a couple days and see if I can help "re-train" her.  She needs to recognize that she needs to go.... before she lets some go.  What would you do?

7 comments:

  1. I don't know... I should ask my sister what she did. Her daughter who is now 9 just barely started not wetting herself at night. My sister also would get up in the middle of the night and take all her kids to the bathroom. Her daughter also had accidents throughout the day. My sister just thinks that she didn't want to quite playing or doing what she was doing to stop and go to the bathroom. I'll have to get back to you on this one.... maybe her starting school will help because she will be too embarrassed to wet herself around classmates. I dunno, I can imagine how frustrating this must be for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would say if it was just at night, then leave it, but if she is having 2-3 accidents a day? I say dr., maybe they could send you to a urologist. I had to take Tanner to a Pediatric Urologist when he was 5 for something, and asked about his bedwetting. She said we wouldn't worry about it until he was 8. It was nice to hear it from a professional. If nothing is wrong, they may at least give you some ideas. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can try using a potty watch to help remind her. You can buy them at BabiesRUS. Also, for the night wetting issue I know there is a gene issue in some children that doesn't allow them to control their bladder at night until they go through puberty. If that's the case your Dr. can prescribe a medication to help. Good luck :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is baffling! I swear little kids just get so busy playing that they dont want to take the time to go potty.

    My best advice would be to set a timer every 2 hours and have her go. ....after she makes it a week (or 3 days) with no daytime accidents let her blow out candles on a special cake after dinner for the family to share and celebrate with her (public praise in front of siblings will reinforce her feeling special and motivate her even more).

    Id also keep a special toy or book in the bathroom that she ONLY gets to read/play with when she is on the potty. Then she might not fight going in there when she feels the urge to go.

    Night wetting is tricky. Some kids just have to sleep in pull ups forever. Eventually they outgrow it. But I hear ya, way annoying. let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Comment left By My Sis-in-law Trisha on Facebook:


    Hey, I was reading your blog today and wanted to comment on the potty thing, but I have forgotten my password to my blog so here I am. I have heard that bladder control is a hormonal thing. A nurse in my ward was talking about it while we were visiting teaching. Apparently it is delayed in showing up sometimes. I taught piano to a boy who had to were pull ups until he was 11 and his mom had taken him to the doctor and everything. She also said that a lot of times it will kick in around puberty. I know that this is no help for the moment, but it may be something to ask your doctor about.

    I don't know about Mycah wetting during the day, but it makes sense that if that hormone hasn't taken action yet that it would be hard for her to control when she pees. Good luck! I hope you can figure something out :) [:)]

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone for the advice. It kinda sounds like it might be a "hormone" issue. I'm pretty much resolved that the night wetting will go away later on. As far as the days go, I will try that "training" method and see where we go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a bed wetter into 1st grade at least, and I turned out great. :) I think it just takes a long time for some kids, and is probably normal.

    As to the accidents during the day, we're having that problem with our 4 year old right now as well. I think she just puts off going to the bathroom until it's a few seconds too late since there's other funner things to do. We have talks about listening to her body when it needs to go, and I remind her to go potty ALL THE TIME, it seems to be helping, but it's been a long road. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete