Saturday, July 5, 2008

Fourth of July

I've decided that I carry with me....a fourth of July curse. Why you ask? This all may seem a bit silly. Alex may even call me a pessimist. I'll just say this, since being a single adult, I've never had my fourth of July celebrations quite work out. When I think of this blessed holiday, I think of BBQ's, large gatherings with friends and family, root beer floats, sometimes swimming, and always a grand finally with fireworks. It seems to me that everyone around me does all these things. As hard as I try though, something always goes wrong. I first noticed it back in the day when I was single and living in an apartment. I don't know why but for some reason, all my closest friends took off to McCall and decided not to invite me. Ever since then, I've had this curse carry on to every Fourth of July. Yesterday was no exception. We had planned to go out yesterday evening with an old friend of mine to Melba. We agreed to let our kids get good sleep yesterday so they would be able to stay up late. Because of this we almost didn't meet my parents at the lake yesterday morning. They were going to leave really early, so I didn't want to wake my kids up to get there. It turns out that they were running late so we decided to go. We went to Black Canyon and did some wake boarding then left around 11:00 to get our girls home for naps. That afternoon my friend called and said they decided to go out to her family's BBQ but could meet us around 8:00 to go to the Melba fireworks. Well, this wasn't what I was hoping, but I said ok. 8:00 comes around and they were not able to go out to the fireworks either. I tell you what...its a curse. We sat around all evening waiting when we could have gone to my Aunts with the rest of my family for a BBQ and pool party. I was so irritated I told Alex lets bag Melba and take the girls downtown with our bikes. This was the best time of the whole day. We took the girls on a late night bike ride to the fireworks and had a great time. We are all tired from staying up, but in the end had a good time together. I'm sorry if I've been sounding like a big depressed person lately. I kind of consider this blog to be my "journal", so I'm just being honest. And I'm sure I'm not the only one out there that has bad days and gets annoyed from time to time. I am just telling it how I see it.










7 comments:

  1. Anna-
    We tried to call you back after I got off the phone with you to come and Chase and LeAnn's. I would have invited you right then and there on the phone, but I don't know how comfortable I am inviting people over to LeAnn's house, aparently mom got kinda upset with me when she realized I hadn't invited you guys. So she called back like ten minutes later and couldn't get ahold of you guys. I'm so sorry. Did you guys still wanna go to Hells Canyon next week? We'd TOTALLY jump on it, but we have ZERO dollars in our account...actually that's not true, we have a few hundred....but it's not ours. I just don't know if I feel comfortable taking a camping trip on someone else's money. But we'll see.
    Heather

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy belated 4th, looks like you made the best out of the situation and took in the fireworks show anyways and had a great time, nice work.

    Next time we will have you and the family over, it may be a little bit of a drive but I assure you it will be worth it ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like you had fun anyway, in spite of the bumps on the road! Such a gorgeous little family!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with you when you make plans and they don't work out, it is a complete bummer. But it sounds like you guys had fun anyway. To answer you question Scout is 21 months. We took Tegans binki away when she turned 18 months so she didn't take it to nursery, but Scout is so much more dependant upon her binki. I actually thought we would never get rid of it, but she went the whole weekend without it. So she is done with it HOORAY!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darn you guys. Give us a call and lets do something. I didn't know Alex wasn't working this summer. Shoot! We could have been playing all this time. We need to meet up at lake walowa. The family I home teach goes there all of the time and absolutely loves it. It helps if you have a boat, but they said it still is awesome without. Give us your schedule for the next 2 months and lets make it happen dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's annoying when your plans fall through but I think what you ended up doing sounded like tons of fun. I'm always down for a boating trip or floating down the river.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  7. NOTHING annoys me more than sitting around waiting on people to follow through with plans!!! Im glad you guys took charge and went on a bike ride (what I wouldnt give to be able to ride a bike right now!)

    I think I have some of your girls's stuff that was left in arco - maybe a pair of shoes? Anyway, lets get together and do a bbq before i have this baby!

    ReplyDelete