Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Swine Flu, did we already have it???

The other day, we were at the church with several other families to clean the building. I had an interesting discussion about the Swine flu with a couple of Ladies. We were discussing the vaccination, and reasons on both sides why and why not we were going to vaccinate. One of the ladies said..."your family may have already had it, and Not know it." I had heard that so many times before, but this time something in me clicked. I really feel like we "already had it"!! No seriously...

So here is why. Lets start with the symptoms.

According to the CDC, like seasonal flu, symptoms of swine flu infections can include:

Fever, which is usually high, but unlike seasonal flu, is sometimes absent
Cough
Runny nose or stuffy nose
Sore throat
Body aches
Headache
Chills
Fatigue or tiredness
, which can be extreme

(Diarrhea and vomiting, sometimes, but more commonly seen than with seasonal flu
Signs of a more serious swine flu infection might include pneumonia and respiratory failure.)


By June of 2009, there were around 29 CONFIRMED cases of the swine flu in Idaho. Now lets remember...this is a number based on PEOPLE TESTED. How many of you who get sick, actually get a "test" done??

So right at the end of May, Logan was born. Our kids were off to my Mom's, and we were at the Hospital. While we were there my Mom let me know that our 2 year old was getting a really bad runny nose and cough. That night it turned into a high fever. When we got home my Mom thought we should take her to the Dr. So before we brought her home we had her checked out. They really had no conclusions other than she "had a virus". No meds were prescribed, no tests were done. We brought our sick two year old home to "fight it off". I just figured it was a bad cold. But now that I think about it...what "cold" do you know of that comes with High Fever, Fatigue, Cough, Runny Nose, Body aches, and lack of appetite?? She was very tired. She wouldn't eat. I don't recall diarrhea (I don't remember). I remember setting up the recliner in my room, because all she wanted was for Mommy or Daddy to hold her. She would fall asleep while we rocked her. We gave her Tylenol, which reduced her fever to a low grade one rather than High. It took her a week to get better. I knew Dejah was next. Wouldn't you know it...she was. Same EXACT symptoms. Dejah (4 at the time) was not hit as bad. The Tylenol really helped the fever, and a couple days of resting was all it took for her. She was back to normal in a few days. The new baby also got a little sick. His nose was yucky, and his voice was a bit hoarse. I don't remember a fever. There was just three weeks of BLURR. Shortly after all this, I got Mastitis...which by the way feels like the worst flu you've ever had!! I got Fever, body aches, chills, nausea....etc... Maybe I had a combo with the flu...who knows. It was HORRIBLE! I thought it would never end. Well it did. Now in Hindsight I think we got the swine flu.

4 comments:

  1. I think Carson and Dash had the swine flu this past month. Reoccuring high fever - sick for about a week, congestion, vomitting and extreme fatigue. I thought if they already have it what is a doctor going to do? I watched them carefully to make sure I didn't need to run them to a hospital... Jed is anti flu shots so this also includes H1N1. So, hopefully the worst is over. Sorry your family was so sick.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, seriously. We've been sick with something around here, (like everyone), with Adam and his job and kadence in school it's unavoidable. For us, we've had the chills, tiredness, weakness, headaches, sore throat. Adam had the cough and fever, and Dagon now has the runny and stuffy nose and who knows what else. When Adam got sicked I was watching for him to throw up or not be able to eat. After he got better and none of those symptoms appeared I didn't have the slightest issue with the rest of us getting sick like he did. And wanna know what? If this is the swine flu, it really wasn't worth sniffing it!! Yeah, I felt kinda crummy, but I feel worse on "that time of the month" and would gladly take swine flu (if that's what we have) over cramps anyday!! I didn't bother wanting to get our kids vaccinated for several reasons, but the main one was that swine flu was circling heavy at school right at the beginning of the year. Kadence was doomed to bring it home anyway. Ours most certainly weren't worthy of a doctor visit, and we are otherwise healthy.
    Give me swine flu over the regular flu anyday. Like you, I will too claim that we've had it. :) Thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bet your family did have the swine flu. David was sick but was better in two days, no doctor visit then Carter and I were really sick a day later. There were no appointments available at the doctors but once I stated his symptoms (all that you stated) they immediately took him in for testing and swine flu was positive. Since I had the same symptoms we both were on medication. It was the worst kind of sickness ever-I practically wanted to die until I remembered some people do die from it so nevermind. We are still recovering with the cough still hanging on. I'm glad you're doing ok and just think at least you're immune to it now for the season.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ya but that's what is so annoying about the swine flu. Those are the exact same symptoms of the regular flu. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete