Friday, June 25, 2010

My Life: Spring of 2000

A little over 10 years ago I made a life changing decision to serve a mission.

I really can't believe it was that long ago. Time was at a stand still. I didn't have anything really impressive going on. I was working, my friends were coming and going. They were getting married, moving, or whatever. I wasn't dating anyone. Actually I was kind of sick of dating. I contemplated a mission. I hadn't saved up for one, so that was a problem. My worries were that I would miss out on "Mr. Right". Or...Gain Weight (as most Sisters do). Either way, I made the decision and I was thrilled. I am very blessed to have parents that offered to pay my way, and the other stuff was just fluff. I quickly met with the Bishop, got my paper work filled out and met with the Stake President. My Stake President hand delivered it that week to the Mission People in Utah. Within about 2 weeks or less I got my mission call in the mail! Eugene Oregon! Huh? That's what I originally thought. Still I was excited, and I left 6 weeks later.

This is a picture of me in the MTC (Mission Training Center).

My mission FLEW by! It was one of the Best experiences of my life. I met so many people with so many backgrounds. It was there I learned to love all people no matter their decisions or backgrounds. It was never about how "many" we baptized, but about how many "lives we touched". I had wonderful companions, and some who struggled. In fact I had a total of 10 mission companions in 18 months and served in 6 areas. My mission taught me lessons about the Gospel that I carry with me today. The "fluff"....I did gain weight (almost 20 lbs), and I still meet Mr. Right!

2 comments:

  1. CRAZY! I knew you served a mission but I didn't know you served in Eugene! Both of my parents are from there. That is where they grew up. I went there almost every summer growing up to visit my grandma and then also to Portland to visit my other grandparents.
    I also have a good friend who served his mission there...he was probably just very new when you were leaving...Jordan Williams from Colorado.
    Crazy that it's been 10 years! Oh and you were one hot sister missionary :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad that there are sister missionaries...I wouldn't be a member today if it weren't for them! Thanks for serving!

    ReplyDelete