Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Losing Some to Gain Some

Well folks, I did it! We finally broke down and Alex and I have agreed to rid ourselfs of some debt and cancel my much coveted Dish Network. If you know me, you should also know this will be a very difficult thing for me. One, I don't really like reading. Two, I don't garden or have any nice shade to sit outside in. I'm not much on playing pretend with my girls. I don't have tons of extra money to spend driving around or shopping. I don't have many close friends in Kuna that I can just stop in on at a moments notice. And when winter comes...STOP the Press...I think I will probably die of extreme boredom!! Yes, the list goes on. Did I mention I love TV! Although I don't spend hours on end in front of it I've become quite spoiled. You see, Dish Network provided us this wonderful invention called a "Dual-Tuner DVR", basically allowing me to record anything I wanted, or even two shows at a time. This allows me to do my duties as a mom, and relax when I have time...(usually at night). Then I could sit quietly when I wanted and I never have to watch a commercial....EVER!!! I could also fast forward the stuff I really didn't care for. Alex could record his sports and movies, and I could record my favorite reality show. We decided that in order to pay down some debt we absolutely had to get rid of the "extras". So there you have it. No home phone line, no cable, no Full coverage on both vehicles, no True Green making our grass look FABULOUS! Alex's unused fitness pass is now converted into my name since he has only bothered using it twice in six months! (We can't cancel due to dumb contract) And Internet....thank the heavens Alex has Masters classes online or it would be gone too. So from now on eating out will be budgeted...and NO MORE GOLFING for Alex...(just kidding hun, that will also be budgeted also). No expensive movies, and no expensive rentals. Phone conversations now limited because we are sharing minutes with my family (unless you are a Verizon user). Oh what am I to do? I am definitely a girl of the future. I love my technology! We literally spent all day trying to get an attic antenna to work...no go. We'll have to resort to the bunny ears. Maybe I can get my VCR to record some of my stuff. Anyway, I am sad, but that is life.

7 comments:

  1. I really feel your pain. Since we have moved, and started a new job things haven't exactly gone as planned. Money has been tight, and we have had to cut back, and do without. It has been so hard, and I HATE it. The only thing that keeps me going is that hopefully it won't last forever. Just know you are not alone...I am with you on the t.v. thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what it's like to live on a budget...actually that's all I know. :)But as far as the tv thing goes, get a digital converter. They are like $50, but you can get a $40 coupon on line and there are already tons of digital channels.

    ReplyDelete
  3. we have dish dvr and I dont think I could live without it so I admire your brave new adventure. I dont watch all that much but we record everything because commercials suck and tv shows are much more quicker without those commercials.

    And we are new members to Tru-Green as of last week, looks like it could be expensive over time but I love that green lawn!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've been thinking about doing the same thing lately, but I haven't yet given in to getting rid of our DISH! For the same reasons as you. But we still have it so if you need to come get a little relief, come on over! Oh, but since you still have the internet, most shows are available online now, especially all the local channels that dang it, don't come in with normal bunny ears! YouTube is also a great place to catch your shows too. I'm sure you'll be spending a little more time on the computer! :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good for you guys. Scott and I have got to tackle our debt too since it's not exactly easy to live with no income for 4 months without getting into debt. Ok so as far as the tv thing goes as a fellow tv addict without cable or dish you too can survive.

    The thing that saves me are tv series on DVD. I go through those like candy. I own a few you could borrow if you want mainly only Buffy seasons 1-3 and Arrested Development 1-3. Christy has all 10 seasons of Friends and nearly the whole series of Gilmore Girls. I am currently watching season 3. She also has seasons 1-3 of Grey's Anatomy which is one of my favorite shows ever. (You'd have to ask her to borrow them but I'm sure she'd say yes). The library is awesome they have tons of stuff for free of course. I just watched My So Called Life and I am currently watching Felicity. They also have Desperate Housewives which is my favorite show and season one of Ugly Betty which I really liked. Of course all of these shows are a little trashy but what can I say I love them and they are the only thing that helps me survive. Can you see how I am a total junky and I survie, plus no commercials on DVD, and you can watch one episode after the other. Sweet. Ok this is seriously ridiculously long, I just have a lot to say about tv I guess. P.s summer tv is the worst except for SYTYCD of course so the tv on dvd is a must for me.
    Mitzi

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey anna! I don't know if you remember me, but my husband and I were in the Snowy Range ward with you and Alex! I was snooping around on Carrie's blog and found yours, and just wanted to say hi! We miss you guys...everyone but us seems to be moving on with their lives to bigger and better things outside of Laramie! And you have baby #2, congrats! Your blog is adorable, and your family is beautiful! Hope you guys are doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tegan is going to be starting swimming at the end of the month. It is only 2 weeks, but I fiqure that is long enough for a 3 year old. It isn't too expensive, it was only $48.00. I didn't put Scout in, but maybe next year when she is a little older. The pool we went to is free for 6 and under so I think we will be spending a lot of time there this summer.

    ReplyDelete