Sunday, February 15, 2009

Building a Toddler Bunk

First off, I just have to say that I have the most amazing parents in the Whole World! They literally bend over backwards for their kids. My Mom and my Dad both work full time jobs, serve in the Church, and have so many "projects" and daily things to do, I truly wonder if they EVER relax. So when I asked my Dad about building a toddler bunk for my girls, my intentions were mostly curiosity about how difficult or time consuming it would be to build. He looked at the picture I had shown him and said he could probably do it in a day. That made me really excited, so the project began. Lets just say "a day" was WAY off the radar. For the past 2 to 3 weeks my Dad has been spending EVERY spare minute to build this thing. I have been feeling awful for putting my parents through this. I know my Dad loves doing this stuff, but I still feel bad. Anyway, yesterday morning we loaded up the girls and drove out to Middleton where my Grandparents live. My Grandpa has a huge shop that my Dad has been using to build our "little undertaking". We sanded, screwed and glued. Here are some pictures of our day. My Dad started this thing with unfinished raw wood. So just getting it all planed out and smooth was a job in itself.
Of course, I was COLD and nicely bundled up.

Here is some of the area we were working in.

After my Grandparents left, the girls had to come out to the shop. It was hard to keep them completely entertained, so they played in the truck and camper.

Here is Alex and my Dad "gluing and screwing" boards.

My Dad is so picky and precise with measurements it literally took hours to put the end-boards on the posts!
I left around 1:30 to take Mycah to my Mom's so she could get a nap. While we were gone, Alex and my Dad got a ton finished!
We called it quits around 4:30 because Alex and I had a Valentines Date to the BSU basketball game planned. My Mom also needed help from my Dad to watch my Sister's kids. So we left the bed unfinished. It is SOOOOOO close to being done, but not there yet. I guess we'll just have to wait a little longer. Again, Thankyou soooo much Mom and Dad for all that you do. We owe you big time!!!

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see it all finished in their cute cute room!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dad's a perfectionist, it's true. But have you ever seen anything as sturdy as the beds that he's made. I sware you could throw those things down a staircase and they wouldn't break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anna, we're still in the 8th ward. We meet at 1:00 at the Linder building.

    ReplyDelete