Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Stay in BED!!!!!

Oh the drama! You would not believe Mycah's "new thing". And what a good time for this "problem" to arrive. My little baby that used to go down so nicely, and sleep all night, and sleep in.....GONE! They don't tell you that once you get that little infant sleeping through the night, just wait until they turn age 2...2 1/2. They are going to start testing "bed time". Dejah did it, I kind of remember. But of course all children are different. So now this "fear" of climbing off the top bunk...GONE! She has NO problem with the climb. We usually always follow a routine. P.J.'s, brush teeth, prayers, kisses and tuck in, and good night. Lately, Mycah has been SCREAMING when we leave the room. She would eventually just get over it and go to sleep. Now, she screams, then climbs down and comes out. I have given her warnings, spankings, you name it! Its like she feeds off the drama. Friday night she was up and in our room at 4 in the morning. Ouch! Especially to a Prego mom who has a hard enough time sleeping anyway. The drama was way worse in the middle of the night too. At 6 am we were so tired I gave up and she crashed in our bed. Two nights ago she did the same thing....and the "drama" was so bad I will just spare you the details. Basically Alex just gave up and left for work at 6. Ok, so yesterday I did some research. It seems to be very common among toddlers. They test their parents, and feed off of reaction. The best advice, DON'T react. You do your routine, kiss them good night, then leave the room. First time out of bed, say "No, its bed time". Put them in bed and leave. Every time after that, you don't react, don't say ANYTHING, just scoop them up and put them in bed. At first this may take hours, but eventually they stay. Last night Alex was gone at school, so I was on my own. I did exactly what the "Super Nanny" suggested. I ended up putting her back in bed Five times! It took her about a 1/2 hour, but she stayed. She was tired, so I'm surprised it took her that long. There was less drama, and I'm glad. The hardest part is that she is hard for me to lift up on the bunk, my body hurts. Anyway, I'm hoping she'll eventually just "get it" and stay. If anyone has any other advice I am ALL EARS!

6 comments:

  1. Oh man sounds like crazy good times at your house. Good luck. I agree with super nanny's advice. Keep it up. Show Mycah who's the boss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tyce is doing the same thing right now... it's awful. I'm going to have a latch for his door because he can open it. I hope that you have better luck than us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know a lot of people that have done the Super Nanny way and it totally works! Just stick to it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am not looking forward to that! Maddix is already not a very good sleeper so I can't imagine how it will be when he can get out of his bed! Good luck with that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the super nanny is definitely on to something there - I have heard a lot of people having success with it, pretty quickly. The hard part is not letting the tiredness and frustration get the better of you - especially pregnant! I feel your pain!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nope no new advice here. I have tried the Super Nanny's advice and finds it works best! Stay strong and consistent!

    ReplyDelete